Health Administration Salaries in West Virginia

According to WorkForce West Virginia, the state’s online portal for labor market information, as of 2014 the average healthcare administration salary in the state was $90,838. The average entry-level salary (bottom 10% average) was roughly 40% less at $54,625, while the average salary among experienced administrators (top 10% average) was nearly 17% more at $108,944.

Job Outlook for Healthcare Administrators in West Virginia

Job growth projections published by WorkForce West Virginia indicate that the number of jobs for healthcare administrators will grow by approximately 16% between 2012 and 2022. About 58% of annual job openings are expected to be due to replacement factors like retirement, while newly created jobs in West Virginia’s growing healthcare sector will account for the remaining 42%.

FEATURED PROGRAMS
SPONSORED LISTINGS
SCHOOL
LEVEL
PROGRAM
MORE INFO
GWU's Milken Institute School of Public Health
Master
Online Master of Health Administration (GRE/GMAT Not Required)
George Mason University
Master
Master of Health Administration in Health Systems Management
Saint Joseph's University
Master
MS in Health Administration - General (Informatics/Organizational Development and Leadership specializations offered)

The largest occupational growth is expected to occur in Region 1, which includes the counties of Fayette, Greenbrier, McDowell, Mercer, Monroe, Nicholas, Pocahontas, Raleigh, Summers, Webster, and Wyoming, where the demand for healthcare administrators is projected to increase by 22.3% over the 10-year period between 2012 and 2022.

The projected increase in the number of jobs for healthcare administrators across West Virginia’s other regions between 2012 and 2022 include:

  • Region 2 (including Huntington): 13.4%
  • Region 3 (including Charleston): 14.6%
  • Region 4 (including Parkersburg): 17.7%
  • Region 5 (including Wheeling): 13.3%

Healthcare Administration Salaries in West Virginia by Region

Region 7, which includes the counties of Berkeley, Grant, Hampshire, Hardy, Jefferson, Mineral, Morgan, and Pendleton, is among the highest paying areas in West Virginia for healthcare administrators. In Region 7, the average starting salary is 26% higher than the statewide average, while the median salary in this area is also 26% higher than the statewide median:

Statewide

  • Entry-Level: $54,625
  • Average: $90,838
  • Median: $78,018
  • Experienced: $108,944

Region 1

(Fayette, Greenbrier, McDowell, Mercer, Monroe, Nicholas, Pocahontas, Raleigh, Summers, Webster, and Wyoming counties)

  • Entry-Level: $63,041
  • Average: $90,631
  • Median: $80,750
  • Experienced: $104,426

Region 2

(Including Huntington)

  • Entry-Level: $46,693
  • Average: $82,498
  • Median: $64,473
  • Experienced: $100,400

Region 3

(Including Charleston)

  • Entry-Level: $54,860
  • Average: $100,466
  • Median: $86,869
  • Experienced: $123,269

Region 4

(Including Parkersburg)

  • Entry-Level: $60,086
  • Average: $89,565
  • Median: $75,492
  • Experienced: $104,305

Region 5

(Including Wheeling)

  • Entry-Level: $54,281
  • Average: $76,652
  • Median: $65,071
  • Experienced: $87,837

Region 6

(Barbour, Braxton, Doddridge, Gilmer, Harrison, Lewis, Marion, Monongalia, Preston, Randolph, Taylor, Tucker, and Upshur counties)

  • Entry-Level: $57,549
  • Average: $92,023
  • Median: $77,493
  • Experienced: $109,259

Region 7

(Berkeley, Grant, Hampshire, Hardy, Jefferson, Mineral, Morgan, and Pendleton counties)

  • Entry-Level: $74,009
  • Average: $113,890
  • Median: $106,038
  • Experienced: $133,832

For comparative purposes, an analysis of all healthcare administration salaries throughout West Virginia is shown in the table below (US Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2014):

Area name
Employment
Annual mean wage
Charleston WV
340
81820
Huntington-Ashland WV-KY-OH
260
95990
Morgantown WV
190
89010
Parkersburg-Marietta-Vienna WV-OH
110
78980
Wheeling WV-OH
180
80940
Southern West Virginia nonmetropolitan area
330
87970
North Central West Virginia nonmetropolitan area
260
95740

Back to Top